This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Wartburg County (Thuringia, Germany)

Wartburgkreis

Last modified: 2016-10-02 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: wartburgkreis | lion(barry) | hen(black) | cross(black) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors



[Wartburgkreis (Thuringia, Germany)] 2:3
by Stefan Schwoon
Flag and coat-of-arms adopted 27 July 1995



See also:


Description

White-red with the arms. According to the county statutes, available online at the county website, both a flag and a banner [hanging flag] exist. The cross in the third quarter of the arms represents the diocese of Fulda. The county is named after the famous castle Wartburg which is well-known because Martin Luther was hidden there from persecution in 1521. Sources: flag from Ulle 2000, arms from the Thuringia official website.
Stefan Schwoon, 17 Mar 2001

Flag adopted 27 July 1995, according to Dirk Schönberger's Administrative Divisions of the World website. From Ralf Hartemink's webpage:

The arms were granted on July 27, 1995. The arms combine elements from the arms of the territories to which the district historically belonged: the lion of the Dukes of Thuringia in the first and fourth quarters, in the second quarter the canting arms of the County Henneberg, and in the third quarter the cross of the Imperial Abbey and State of Fulda.
Source: Linder and Olzog 1996.

Santiago Dotor, 27 Feb 2002


Hanging Flag

Banner

[Wartburgkreis hanging flag (Thuringia, Germany)] 5:2
by Stefan Schwoon
Flag and coat-of-arms adopted 27th July 1995

back to index of Thuringia county-free cities and counties page click here